Structural Repairs Blackpool
We offer professional surveys & structural repairs services throughout Blackpool, the Flyde Coast & Surrounding Areas.
Diagnosis of wall tie failure corrosion.
The installation of remedial cavity wall ties.
The installation of remedial lateral restraints:
- Masonry Crack Stitching
- Associated masonry repairs
- Utilising Thor Helical systems
Cavity wall construction has existed since the early 19th century and became the norm from the late 1800s to the present day.
Principal advantages of cavity construction are:
- Thermal insulation
- Sound insulation
- To prevent the ingress of moisture from outside
- To give structural stability
Problems of Corrosion
Older types of metal tie may have no protective coating or they may have a bitumen or light zinc coating. Either way these ties are susceptible to corrosion in the presence of moisture and oxygen.
The extent and rate of corrosion will depend upon a number of factors including:
- Exposure to prevailing weather
- Type of mortar e.g. corrosive black ash mortar, weak and porous lime sand mortars
- Condition of pointing
- Poor design & construction e.g. blocked cavities, lack of DPCs
- Environmental factors e.g. coastal locations